Thursday, June 9, 2011

Swimmin' With the Fishies

By "swimming with the fishies" I'm not talking the mafia meaning...

Jonna and I headed down to the North Shore past Hale'iwa today.  We stopped in the little hamlet to do a little shopping and then headed down the coast to find a good spot to swim. 
As I told you before, some of the shops in Hale'iwa Town are...interesting.  We went back to one we had visited before and this time the man behind the counter (an old surf bum) was very friendly and talked with us about Kansas and tsunamis, tornadoes, and just about everything else.  A sign by the cash register reads, "This is a work free drug place." :)))  Need I say more? 

The sun was peeking in and out of the clouds, but it didn't stop the throngs from heading for the rays.
We finally found a spot near Pupukea Beach Park which is surrounded by Shark's Cove and Sunset Beach on one side and Three Tables Beach and Waimea Bay on the other side.
We chose Three Tables Beach, a small alcove tucked between giant volcanic rocks.  It's named for three flat table rocks that serve as mini wavebreaks.
The water isn't really deep but the best part is it has a reef below it which allows for great snorkeling.
After sunning ourselves for a bit, eating homemade guacamole and chips, and digging around us for cool shells and seaglass, we headed down to the water and the strong surf.
As I floated, Jonna snorkeled (we only had one snorkeling kit). 
When I took to the snorkel, I saw many brightly colored fishes meandering through the flat-topped reef.  Black fish with neon orange stripes near the gills, grey fish with bright blue heads and bright yellow fish with black tiger stripes down their bodies.

As the sun returned the crowd increased a bit so we got out of the water.  It's not that I dislike high-schoolers but they seem to be clueless when it comes to beach/water etiquette.  It took them no time to wander into my floating area.  The surf is so strong that it's hard to control yourself so I finally gave up and got out of the water, but not before Jonna and I picked up some neat seaglass for her collection. 

As I continued to dig around me for cool shells, I kept getting text messages from Wichita State and everyone I know in Wichita warning me of the tornado warnings in Sedgwick County.  What a difference a few thousand miles make!!!  We were sitting on the beach without a care in the world while my friends were hunkered down in their basements...
All is well I hear and the rain will bring them a much-needed respite from the horrible heat that has plagued the plains while I've been gone.
It's been hard to update my friends that the weather here is 75 with a cool sea breeze...and the views...well...I don't want to depress anyone further!!!
No AC is needed, as my open window, the fan above and the window across the hall acts as fresh, natural AC!....that is, until tonight, when my naughty godson Hobbes (Hobo Cat) decided to perform surgery on the screen in the hall window.  Jonna was in the bathroom next to it and screamed, "Hobbes!"  He had escaped on to the roof...so now that window is closed until further notice.  Hobo showed no remorse because...well...he runs the house.

As we made our way back down Kamehameha Highway into Hale'iwa we decided to stop at Matsumoto's for a Shave Ice...we both had our customaries; Jonna the "Hawaiian" and me the "Root Beer."  We arrived at the best time as there was amazingly no line!!  If you haven't been there before, the line is always 15-deep to the door...
I almost spilled my shave ice when a man walked behind our car in Matsumoto's parking lot.  He was dragging a big green trash can with rollers.  I wondered aloud what he was doing, and Jonna said, "you mean, Oscar?"  hahahahaha  I said that Oscar had obviously had an upgrade since I watched Sesame Street!!

A funny note:
The other day I thought I heard a tornado siren about 11:45 in the morning.  Ahem...now I know what a tsunami siren sounds like.  And no we didn't have a tsunami...merely a test like our weekly tornado siren tests.

Tomorrow night we are headed to Jonna's Bible Study group (Army Navigators) for "game night."
I'm not sure about Saturday, but we're excited to see some polo on Sunday.  Just imagine Jonna and me stomping the divets between Chukkers...sooo "Pretty Woman."

WARNING: PARADISE PHOTOS BELOW!!!! :)) ALOHA

Three Tables Beach...a nice little alcove for snorkeling

Jonna talking to her dad

My home...hahahaha (If it were I would instruct the servants to clear the riffraff from my beach!)

The three tables for which the beach is named

Some saucy tramp with red toenails...oh wait...that's Jonna's foot

The riffraff on my beach and a lone paddleboarder in the distance (he can stay since he's not in my cove)

Looking toward Shark's Cove and Sunset Beach

Yes, we are on an island! 

Wave breaking in the inlet

Aloha!


No comments:

Post a Comment